Saturday, March 26, 2011

More Super Couponing and a Quilt Top Finished!

Quote for the Day:
“The art is not in making money, but in keeping it.”
~ old proverb


Yesterday I was given a surprise day off from work!  :)  It doesn't happen very often, so it was a nice surprise.  It enabled me to do a lot of sewing on Sera's "Disney Princess" quilt and I got the top completed!  


I feel kinda bad because Sera's favorite color is PINK, but the focus fabric for this quilt was lavender, so her quilt is PURPLE.  To compensate for this, I'm going to find some pretty pink fabric from my stash to use as the backing.   She can have her Disney princesses on one side and her pink on the other! 

Now...onto my couponing...
My favorite drugstores to do my couponing at are Rite Aid and Walgreens.  They both offer deals, that when paired with coupons and their own rewards programs, add up to great money-savers.  (CVS also has great deals, but we don't have a CVS in our town.)


Today I went to Rite Aid to do my couponing there and I thought I'd share with you what I got.


This is what I purchased...




I had coupons for everything except the jane mascara...however, it was on clearance for 75% off...bringing the price down to $1.37...and I was in need of a new mascara!  :)


Before coupons, the total was $11.33.  After coupons, the total out-of-pocket was $1.01.   (Actually, I was only out $1.00 because the cashier offered to take the penny out of the penny cup that was there by the register!)  :)






After paying, I received $6.00 in +UP rewards to be used as cash towards my next shopping trip.  In addition, I submitted my receipt online and will get $1.00 back in rebate for purchasing the Lysol.  Also, on my receipt there was an offer of a $3.00 coupon off of a $15.00 future purchase if I went online and filled out a survey about this shopping visit...which I did...and then I printed out my coupon.




So... today Rite Aid gave me free products and then paid me $8.99 to remove these products from their store!  :)   How cool is that?   I LOVE getting free products...AND being "paid" to buy them!   


I learned several years ago that it isn't how much you MAKE...it's how much you KEEP.  


Even though I make a good hourly wage at my job, when you subtract taxes, car upkeep (including insurance, etc.) to drive to and from work, malpractice insurance, continuing education expense, and all the other expenses that go into keeping a nursing license and job, your "hourly" wage is much lower than what you think.  You can go here to calculate YOUR real hourly wage.


When you know your REAL hourly wage you can then figure out exactly how many hours it will take you to pay for something.  Then you can decide for yourself whether or not that thing is worth the x-number of hours of work it will take to pay for it.  

You can also use it figure out how long it would have taken you to earn the money to pay for the free products you can get with couponing.  :)   For me...it's definitely worth my time to coupon as I can get $50-100 dollars worth of free product per month...and that's a LOT of hours that I don't have to spend working at my "real hourly wage"! 


Thanks for visiting my blog today!  Feel free to leave me a comment...I love to read them!  :)  


Have a blessed day!


Loretta

2 comments:

  1. Sera's quilt looks great! I think she'll still love it even if it is purple! Love you!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt looks SO good! I could be a slight biased source since I LOVE purple. :) However I know Sera will love it!

    ReplyDelete