Thursday, November 11, 2010

Happy Veteran's Day...

Quote for the day:
"The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten."
   - Calvin Coolidge


I wish to extend a special thank you to all of our military personnel, past and present, for their service to our country.  If it weren't for those brave souls, we would not have the freedoms that we enjoy so much!

My husband, Andy, served for 4 years in the Navy...long before I met him.  In fact, I think I was in 3rd grade the year he signed up!  LOL  (Yes, he did rob the cradle when he married me! ;)...but I digress...)
Here, for your perusal is a picture of his graduating submarine class from New London, CT, October 1969:




And here is a close-up of him in the picture:


...he is the middle one  in the back row!  Handsome, huh?  Downright dapper in his dress whites! 
How young and baby-faced he looks there!  Only 18 years old...


Even though I remembered it was Veteran's Day today, I was headed out the door with these:






...the packages of Pfaltzgraff that I sold on Ebay...when I remembered that because it WAS Veteran's Day, the post office is CLOSED!  Glad I remembered before I had actually driven to the post office!  LOL


Okay...so they'll get mailed tomorrow instead...

I thought I'd show you the update on the "bug jar" quilt blocks that I've been making with the fabric I've received from my swap with other quilters.




I still have more fabric coming in from other quilters, so this is not all of the blocks nor the final arrangement.  After I get done making all of the blocks, I will do my final arranging and add the "shelves" that the jars will "sit" on.


I have an affliction called "Quilter's ADD"....LOL!  I start planning my future projects long before I am done with my current ones!  


In this case, I'm thinking about the "Disney Princess" quilt I'd like to make my granddaughter, Sera, for her 5th birthday, in Sept. 2011.


When we were in Tennessee for her 4th birthday, I found this 2 yard piece of fabric at Goodwill for a couple dollars:






It's got "sparklies" in it...Sera like anything "sparkly and pretty"!


I thought I'd pair it with a bright yellow and a dark purple.  I don't have any dark purple, but I did find some yellow to show you...




Doesn't the yellow makes the lavender "pop"?


Thank you all for stopping by my blog today.  Please leave a comment to let me know you were here and what you "released" into the wild recently!


Loretta

No comments:

Post a Comment