Sunday, October 6, 2013

Fall Is Here...

Quote for the Day:
"Love the trees until their leaves fall off, 
then encourage them to try again next year.” 
~ Chad Sugg

Autumn is in full swing here in West Virginia.  The leaves are starting to turn colors and drop to the ground, the nights are getting cooler, and starting tomorrow, so will the days.  We've had a brief "Indian summer" (that's probably not a "politically correct" term, but I don't know what else to call it)  with lots of sun and warm temperatures, but tomorrow the highs are going to start only being in the 60's and lows in the 40's.  Andy mentioned today that he will probably have the coal stove up and running when I get home from work tomorrow.  

We live in town and are surrounded by mountains.  Here's the view off of my back porch.  You can see the leaves are starting to turn brown...


One of the trees on our new property...

The mountain to the south of us...

The "Burning Bush" on our neighbor's property is starting to turn brilliant red...


Now, in quilt news...
I finished up the Blue Ridge Beauty quilt on Monday and took it out of the quilting frame.  I sewed the binding onto the front and it is ready to be turned to the back and hand-sewn down.  I had planned to take it to a fiber arts group that I attend on the first Tuesday of the month, and get started on sewing it down, but this month I was unable to attend at the last minute.  It is currently folded up and sitting in a tote bag...without me getting a picture of it, yet.  :(    So you'll just have to take my word for it that it is done at this point.  I'll be sure to take and post pictures when the binding is done.  

Today I loaded a customer's quilt into the frame.  (Don't worry about the wrinkles, those are taken care of by tightening the rollers on the frame to pull the fabric more taut.)


It was HAND PIECED by the mother of a co-worker for the grandson of said co-worker.  


It is an adorable quilt, but did have some "issues", but because it is hand pieced by the child's great grandmother, I chose to leave them in rather than "fix" them.  It will just be a part of the quilt's history.  Sometimes that is more important and endearing than "perfect".  

I did go through the back of it and cut off all the "dog ears" and some extra fabric that the maker left on.  Also, she did not press the seams as she went, so I spent at least an hour yesterday trying to figure out which way they laid best, spritzing them with water, and then pressing them down into submission!    Today I marked it, loaded it into the frame, and put the first stitches in it!  

It is a twin-size, so it should go fairly fast...I'm shooting for 2 months.  We'll see how close I get to that time frame!

Loretta

2 comments:

  1. I think the politically correct term is "Native American summer". Just like we need to say "fire caucasian" instead of "fire cracker."

    Just some good ol' Wisconsin humor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are starting to get some fall colors around here also! I appreciate the fact you are maintaining the quilts history for your co-worker! It looks like a charming boy quilt with those sailboats!

    ReplyDelete