Quote for the Day:
"Do not plan for ventures before finishing what's at hand."
Tonight I finished the binding and then labeled the Feed Sack Quilt. It has now been washed and is currently in the dryer as I type this post. :)
I picked up this vintage quilt top at an estate auction for a mere $2.00 back in 2007. It didn't lay flat, but I "nipped & tucked" it into submission and got it to lay fairly flat before quilting it. I was then able to "quilt out" what I wasn't able to "nip & tuck" into flatness! (is "flatness" a word?)
I added the cream calico print border to make it large enough to fit comfortably on a full-sized bed. (Most older quilts are smaller than today's quilts because our beds are bigger now than they used to be.)
Here's a side view of the quilt that shows the border better...
I used a thrift store-purchased sheet for the backing. However, the stripes were brighter than I really wanted for this subdued quilt, so I used the WRONG side of the sheet for the backing and put the RIGHT side of the sheet to the inside of the quilt! :) (I always browse the sheet section of thrift stores because you can pick up a king-sized flat sheet for $3.00-4.00...much cheaper than backing fabric! HOWEVER...DON'T use a sheet on a quilt you are going to HAND quilt! It is nearly impossible to needle through a well-made sheet by hand! I only use them when I am going to machine quilt a quilt.)
Out of all of the different blocks, I think this aqua fabric is my favorite! :) It is such a "happy" color! :)
All in all, I'm quite pleased with the way the quilt turned out and I would hope that the original quilter who made the top would feel I did it justice. :)