Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Gluten-Free Update...


Well...some good news for once!  LOL  

After 3.5 weeks after eliminating gluten from my diet, I am happy to report that I am down 8.2 pounds, lowered my BMI by 1.6 points, and am feeling GREAT!   No more afternoon "brain fog"!

I'm happy with the results and plan to keep plugging along.  

The food has been wonderful...last night was home made chili with GF home made cornbread!  OMG, was it ever good!  Even Andy exclaimed how good the cornbread was...and he's not that much into cornbread!  (I was raised by "southern" parents who ate cornbread with beans...and Andy was raised by "yankee" parents who ate yeast rolls with beans, so I've worked hard over the last 31 years to bring him over to the "cornbread" side of things!  He still prefers yeast rolls, but he did say the cornbread last night was very good and tasted just like "normal" cornbread.  LOL)  I did have to learn a new way of making chili because my previous, fail-safe recipe used a can of tomato soup...which, unfortunately, contains wheat flour.  But this chili did turn out quite DELISH, I'm happy to say!  :)

I used this recipe for the chili, but used canned red beans and canned great northern beans instead of the dried beans, and also used ground venison instead of ground beef.  For the cornbread, I used a basic recipe found in one of my cookbooks, but used GF corn meal and GF All-Purpose Flour instead.  These are easy to find in grocery stores that have a "health foods" section.  Bob's Red Mill is bringing gluten-free and organic items to mainstream grocery stores, so I look for their packages.

I made a batch of Baked Oatmeal last Sunday and have been having that with a cuppa coffee in the mornings for my breakfast.  I keep the baked oatmeal in the fridge and heat up a small serving in the microwave each morning for breakfast.  It is WONDERFUL and VERY filling!  You don't need much!  LOL  

When I first started this journey, I purchased this cookbook...


Because all the recipes are for the crockpot AND are gluten free, it has been a GODSEND for a person like me who doesn't like to cook!  

Yes, the recipes in the book are from her website, but I have noticed that there have been upgraded changes to the recipes in the book and I also like having the BOOK in the kitchen when I'm cooking.  It's handier to flip through and plan meals, than to keep clicking through web pages and then printing out the recipes you want.

So that's it for the most recent update!  I'm happy and well-fed!  :)   Life just doesn't get much better than that!  :)

Now, I've got to take the car into the shop to see why the less-than-a-year-old remote start isn't working.  :(

Loretta

1 comment:

  1. Good reports! Glad to hear of your progress, and that you're going to move forward!
    Chili has been popular lately (wonder why!?)...brrr!
    ~Susana

    ReplyDelete