Monday, November 14, 2011

What To Do With "Leftovers"???

Quote for the Day:
 “The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years 
she served the family nothing but leftovers. 
The original meal has never been found.”
~Calvin Trillin 

No, no, no...not those kinds of leftovers!  

I'm talking about the "leftover" HST's (Half-Square Triangles) that I have from making this quilt...

A less frugal person might have thrown them away...but anybody who knows me, knows that I am not able to discard usable fabric!  :)  I paid good money for this fabric!  I can't throw it away!  

These are the blocks, or HST's as we quilters call them, that I had leftover.  I threw them on the design wall to see what I could do with them.  There were 44 of these 5" blocks.  Whatever I made with them would be either a lap quilt or a baby quilt.


After playing around with them and doing a little research on the internet the light bulb went on in my head!  

I have always wanted to do the "Carpenter's Star" pattern...and that pattern uses a lot of HST's!   I had to add just a couple more blocks to the mix to come up with this...


All of this was made from "leftovers" and scraps that I had in my stash!!  :)

It's not sewn together, yet, but the design is there...ready to be sewn together tomorrow!  

I would really like to make this a baby quilt.  Whether it's for a boy or girl will decide what color to do the outer border, but I can get the rest of it finished up to the borders.  

I know it's not the "traditional" baby quilt, in the normal "cutesy, babyish" way, but it does have blue, pink, yellow and light green in it...among other colors, too... so tell me what you think.  If someone gave it to you for your baby, would you like it?

I'd really like your feedback!  

Loretta

1 comment:

  1. I think it would be a great baby quilt b/c then once the kid is old enough to say "I not a baby" they might not want to use their baby quilt anymore - not the case with this quilt!
    Good job!
    I still need to send you that fabric - I've not unpacked/organized everything after the wedding yet...
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete