Monday, November 14, 2011

A Baby Quilt Ready for Borders!

Quote for the Day:
"If you build it, they will come..."
~Field of Dreams

Yesterday I posted about using some leftover HST's to make a Carpenter's Star baby quilt.  I had all the blocks made and arranged on the design wall yesterday so today I sewed them together into an "almost finished" top.  It currently measures 36" X 36".  It still needs the borders, but I will decide on the color for them later...when I know what baby this is for.  :)



You see...I'm hoping for a new grandbaby in the next year or so...so I'm taking the advice that "The Voice" gave to Kevin Costner in "Field of Dreams"... "If you build it, they will come!"  I'm hoping that if I make a baby quilt, I'll get another grandbaby!  :)    Hey...it worked in the movie!  LOL

BTW...for the quilters that read my blog...
I have a tip for helping you keep the correct placement of the blocks when sewing a top together...especially when you are doing a scrappy quilt or one that you don't have a pattern for.

When my blocks are on the design wall, I take a picture with my digital camera so I look at the picture on the display screen (or you can upload it to your computer and look at it there).  I'm looking for "mistakes" in placement, color balance, etc.  For some reason, looking at them on a smaller scale like this shows up things that you don't see when you are looking at the larger item on the design wall.  When you have everything just as you want it, take a picture and print it out on regular paper.  (To save ink, I also use the "fast print" setting.)

Use your picture as a diagram to double check things as you are sewing the blocks together.  I invariably turn blocks or switch them up when joining them to each other.  But with the picture to look at, I can make sure everything is just where it is supposed to be before sewing them together.


And another tip...just because I appreciate my readers...
I fold quilt tops and drape them over the bar of a hanger to store them till I am ready to quilt them.  This prevents deep creases that come from folding and stacking them.  :)


That's all my tips for today, Folks!  If I gave you anymore at one time, I'd have to charge you for them!   LOL


By the way, Loretta...what time is it???

It's "Book Review" time!!!  :D    *band strikes up fast tempo music*

I just finished reading "All By My Selves" by Jeff Dunham.




It is his autobiography and was quite interesting.  I would give it 4 out of 5 stars.  Well...maybe 4.25 stars...
It was interesting AND funny...so that's a good combination for me!  :)   I like watching his work, so that made it even more appealing to me.

Remember, Folks...I don't charge any extra for the book reviews!  But you get what you pay for...so think about that...   :D



Loretta

No comments:

Post a Comment