Saturday, April 16, 2016

Surprises From a Friend...

Quote for the Day:

“A wonderful gift may not be wrapped as you expect.” 
~Jonathan Lockwood Huie



A couple of weeks ago I came home to work to find a garbage bag sitting in my entryway.  Andy told me a friend had dropped it off and said they were quilting scraps that she had found while cleaning out her mom's place after she passed away.  She thought I might be able to use them.

It was almost a week before I had to time really look in the bag and when I did, under the scraps of fabric I found SEVEN quilt tops!  I contacted my friend and asked for sure that she really meant for me to have these and she confirmed "yes".  She said her mom had been an occasional quilter.  My friend said she thought maybe I would like these unfinished quilts!

They are mixed hand and machine pieced and mostly of feed sacks and shirting fabric.  (There used to be a shirt factory in this town many years ago, so many of the old local quilt tops are made from the end pieces of shirting fabric that you could go buy cheaply from the factory.)

Bubble gum pink scrappy nine-patch...


Scrappy bow-tie laid out in a snowball pattern...


Another bubble gum pink nine-patch...


I don't know this next pattern, but it looks like some sort of posy pattern to me.  Anybody know the name of the pattern?


Another scrappy nine-patch...the border looks like it's from the '70's and doesn't "go" with it, so I'll probably take the border off and add a different one...either of muslin or of a '30's reproduction fabric...


A STUNNING double Irish chain!!!   LOVE THIS ONE!!!


And finally...this Irish chain quilt that had all sorts of issues...but that's for the next blog post!  :)


Here they all are after being measured and tagged...


Most are around 81" x 81" so will only need a border added to make them big enough for a queen-sized bed.  Or I can finish them as they are and they will fit a full-sized bed.  

I think they are beautiful and am blessed that my friend gifted them to me!

Loretta

2 comments:

  1. What wonderful quilt tops, Loretta -- every single one of them! Lucky you!
    --Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky, Loretta!!! The quilt tops are wonderful. Have FUN with the quilting!

    ReplyDelete