Sunday, July 15, 2012

What's Going on Around the Ol' Homestead...

Quote for the Day:
"You can do anything, but not everything.:
—David Allen
I've been trying out some of the ideas that I have "pinned" on Pinterest.  They are things that will hopefully either save me money, time, make my life easier....or all three of the above!  :)  I thought I'd share some of them with you!
I was almost out of facial toner so I thought I'd try the homemade toner "recipe" that I found online. 
  • 1/2 Cup Lemon juice
  • 1 Cup Water
  • 2/3 Cup Witch hazel (can purchase at any drug store)
  • Mix together and store in plastic bottle or jar
              The above is for normal to dry skin.   For oily skin add 2 tablespoons alcohol.
I didn't have any lemons, so I used ReaLemon instead.  I added one teaspoon of isopropyl alcohol to my solution since it seems that without it, it took FOREVER for the toner to dry. 
Since this was a trial, I only made 1/2 of the recipe.  (And because I only had enough witch hazel on hand to make 1/2 of the recipe!  LOL)  

I poured the toner mixture back into the empty witch hazel bottle and 1/2 recipe made this much.  This should be 3-4 weeks use for me.  I really like this toner and will make more when this is used up.  Next time I will make it with fresh lemon juice and see if I notice any difference between the two.
Another idea I tried this weekend was fixing a poking underwire with a piece of moleskin.  :)
If you've ever worn an underwire bra, you've probably experience this at some time or another...

I saw a "pin" where the person cut a piece of moleskin (used to protect and pad feet corns) and applied it to her bra.  I thought I'd try it but first, I had to get a package of moleskin at Wallyworld.  

You can find it in the foot care area and it costs less than $3.00 for a package that will last a long time.  You cut the size you want, peel off the paper strip covering the adhesive side and press into place.

According to the blog I read online about it, the writer said it even lasts through multiple washings.  :)  An easy-peasy inexpensive fix!  My favorite kind!  :)

My next trial is actually two ideas put together.  The first one is homemade fabric softener.  This takes three ingredients:  3 cups white vinegar, 2 cups hair conditioner, and 6 cups water.

Heat the vinegar and mix it with the hair conditioner.  (This conditioner was gotten for free with my couponing!)   I used a whisk to get it thoroughly mixed.  I then added the water and whisked some more.  Again, since this is a trial, I only made half of a batch.

I put the mixture into a vintage Tupperware canister so that I could try the next "pin" I wanted to try...reusable fabric softener "sheets".  (You can also add 1/8 - 1/4 cup of this solution directly to the rinse cycle of the wash, too, but since my laundry area is in the basement, I like the ease of dryer sheets.)

I have lots of plain, white, cheap wash cloths from Wallyworld.  I use them for lots of things, including cleaning.

I took these three and dunked them into the mixture, wrung them out, and then hung them to dry above the dryer.

After they are dry I will throw one into the dryer with the wet clothes to "soften" the clothes and prevent static.  From what I've read, each one is good for approximately 10 dryer loads before it needs to be re-dunked into the mixture.  I'm anxious to try these and will let you know how they work and how long they seem to last.




  1. well aren't you industrious! thanks for being our guinea pig!

  2. Here are my thoughts. For the wire.... take them out, you will be happy in the long run. If they must stay, push the wire back in and sew the hole. As for the dryer sheets, AWESOME idea. I'll have to try that one. I've made dishwasher soap before. It was ok, but I had a hard time tweaking the recipe so the glasses came out clear. Lemon shine is a good product for that. There are other homemade products I want to try. I have to get on that. Congrats on your work, you done good.


    1. In the past...with different bras...I have pushed the wires back in and sewed. However, with these bras, the wires fit too snugly and there is no room at the top to sew a new seam. :( I'd be hitting wire with the needle if I tried it. my case...the wires MUST stay! ;)