Monday, July 23, 2012

Updates...

Quote for the Day:
"Man is so made that he can only find relaxation from one kind of labor by taking up another." 
~Anatole France 

This past weekend, Andy & I left for a brief get-away.  We left Saturday morning and drove the back roads to Charleston, WV, the state's capital, and returned on Sunday evening.  

Along the way, we stopped when we felt like stopping, ate when we felt like eating, and, in general, just had a good time.

We stopped at some yard sales, thrift stores, and antique stores along the way and got to chat with a lot of interesting people!  

While passing through Glenville, we stopped at Smokehouse Barbeque, 10 N. Lewis St., and had lunch.  

 
We thought the food was very good!  Loved their homemade "sweet" BBQ sauce!  It had a "kick" to it so I can't even imagine what their "hot" variety was like!  But if you like "hot"....they had you covered!  They also had jars of the homemade sauce for sale and I wish now that I had bought one or two.  

As we continued on down to Charleston one of the stops we made was downtown Spencer, WV, where there were some thrift stores and the Spencer Antique Mall.   The antique mall had the women's bathroom decorated in a way that I have never seen before...

 
 ...yep...that's right.  It was set up like a bedroom...complete with hand made quilt on the bed!  LOL  The toilet was around to the left as you entered the room...just out of site from where I was standing to take the picture.  I was so fascinated with how they had decorated this bathroom that I asked Andy to open the door of the men's bathroom to see if it was also uniquely decorated.  The answer to that one was a resounding "no".  :(

Antique store bathrooms are frequently decorated with unique items, but I can honestly say that I have NEVER seen one set up like a BEDROOM!   LOL   (Remember...it takes so little to amuse me!  LOL)

We spent Saturday night in south Charleston...nothing unique...just a Holiday Inn Express.  But we did feel so much SMARTER in the morning!  LOL  (For the foreign readers, Holiday Inn Express's commercials play on the premise that people who stay there are smarter after they check out than when they check in.)

After toodling around the town a little more on Sunday, we headed back home.   (Charleston is about 2.5 hours drive from where we live.)



Now...onto some quilting news...
After we returned home, I spent a couple hours quilting and was able to finish up the quilting on the daffodil quilt....6 months and 3 days after putting it into the frame!  :)

I still have to trim off the excess batting and backing, bind it and label it.  But here is is...as is...spread out on our queen-sized bed...

 
Here's a close-up of the hand-quilting...


 And here's a picture with a corner turned back showing the backing fabric...


 I'm glad to have it "done".   I have some other things to do first on other projects before I bind and label it, so you probably won't see/hear anymore of this quilt for a while.

Pictures of upcoming projects will be coming soon...I hope!  :)  There is a quick, non-quilting-but-quilt-related project I want to do before I start on the next quilt.  Does that have your interest piqued, yet?  LOL

The next quilt to go into the frame is a "customer" quilt that my
massage therapist commissioned me to do... hand-quilt a quilt top that her mom made for her.  But I won't be able to get it into the frame until I do the aforementioned non-quilting-but-quilt-related project since the "project" will tie up my quilting room until it is complete.   I promise that I will post pictures of the "project" when it is done!  ")

Loretta

No comments:

Post a Comment