Monday, February 27, 2012

Poor Lady...

Quote for the Day:
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you 
more than you love yourself. "
- Josh Billings 

If you've followed my blog for any length of time you, no doubt, have heard me talk about our faithful companion Boston Terrier, Lady.

 about 4 human years old...

12 human years old...
see how much white she has around her face and eyes now? 

She is always close by me, where ever I am.  If I'm showering, she lays outside the bathroom door to "protect" me.  :)  If I'm sewing, she's laying in her bed under my sewing table, etc.  In fact, she is always so close by that she frequently makes it into my blog pictures!


Since Christmas, we have noticed a definite decline in her health.  We've taken her to the vet and there were only 2 things that they were able to find...the pupil in her left eye is "blown" (permanently dilated and does not respond to light) and one of three liver enzymes is elevated.  We have started her on an antibiotic and a liver anti-oxidant to try and correct the liver enzyme.  We will have her blood retested at the end of the month of medication.  
 
She seems to have lost quite a bit of vision and hearing, but still seems to be quite active and happy.  We have noticed this past week that, on occasion, she doesn't seem to have complete control over her hind quarters and has, a few times, fallen on her butt.  :(  We are beginning to suspect that she may have had one or more small strokes.)
 
Years ago I had put a bed for her under my sewing table so she wouldn't lay on the rug by my rolling chair, but I had never put one in my quilting room for her.  Since she loves to be close by me, where ever I am, last night I took an old drawer from our kitchen demolition to make a bed for her in my quilting room.  :)
 
When I trim quilts in preparation for binding, I always save the batting in a grocery bag beside my cutting table.  These scraps make good pillow stuffing!  :)  I had an old cotton valance that I didn't want, so I cut the valance in half, then folded it in half.  After sewing up two of the three open sides, I took the old batting I'd been collecting, stuffed it inside and then sewed up the remaining end of the "pillow" for the drawer-turned-dog-bed!
 

Lady seems to approve!!!  :)  And that's all that matters.

 
We know the day is coming when we will have to let her cross the Rainbow Bridge, but that time has not come, yet.  Until then, we will take care of her, cuddle her and love her like the member of the family she has always been. 


Loretta

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear that your little dog's health is failing. It's the hardest thing about having pets...the day always comes when we know we have to let them go. I'll be thinking of you, and her too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am sorry to hear of Lady's health...She definitely is "a part of the family" and how we hate to see our family members struggling. Glad to hear her disposition is still good! Love to both of you and her too...I'll be sure to tell Mo, who'll also be sad to hear...
    ~Susana in Indy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lady is very lucky to have such a caring home, in sickness and in health. Our dear pets are only on loan from the Cosmos.

    ReplyDelete