Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A Different Kind of Decluttering Today...

Quote For The Day:
It doesn't make any difference what you do in the bedroom as long as you don't do 
it in the street and frighten the horses. - Mrs. Patrick Campbell
 
 








Today is my last day to work at our old hospital building.  For those who don't know, our hospital has built a new hospital and this weekend is THE WEEKEND of the the BIG MOVE!  


In getting ready for the move we have been going through our departments and dumping things that we no longer use and don't need to take to the new hospital.  Are we seeing a theme going on here?  LOL  The difference is is that they have been bringing in DUMPSTERS for us to use when discarding things.  Here at home, I don't think I'll need anything quite that big!  :)


Since we change into scrubs to work in my department, we each have a locker to put our things in.  Well...you know how you take something to work because you'll need it that day...but then you just leave the rest of it there in case you need it again sometime?  My locker was FULL of that kind of stuff..."feminine hygiene products", OTC medications, pens, packages of drink mixes you put in bottled water, snacks, etc., etc., etc.


There was too much that I knew that if I tried to take it all home in my tote bag in one trip that it would be too much to carry comfortably!  So over the last several days of work I've been taking home small amounts at a time.  However, I have only been bringing home exactly what I will need to put in my locker in the next hospital.  Face it...I will still need to keep some feminine hygiene products and some OTC meds for headaches, etc.  However, I don't need as much as I am taking out of the old locker.  In this whole process, I have been throwing out a LOT of stuff that I no longer need, is out of date, or is just plain clutter that somehow got pushed to the back of the locker and forgotten about.


I don't have any pictures of my locker so you are just going to have to trust me when I tell you that I have thrown out about 1-2 handfuls of stuff every night for the last 4 nights of work.


I also have to clean out my mailbox at work tonight, too.  It is about 2" high by 9" wide...and is FULL of papers, my stethoscope and a tube of hand cream.  Obviously, the stethoscope and hand cream will go with me, but I'm fairly certain that most of the papers will get thrown away.


In addition to the stuff I just told you about, after tonight I will be getting rid of a couple "intangibles"...since the new hospital is closer to my house my commute will decrease from 25 miles one way to 14 miles one way...decreasing my driving time from 45 minutes one way to about 23 minutes one way!!!   Considering my normal 3 day work week, that will put 2 whole hours per week back in my pocket!!!  Think of the quilting I can get done in those 2 extra hours per week!!!!


Have a great day and post a comment to let me know what you have "released" today!!


Loretta


4 comments:

  1. We have a new Goodwill Store opening Ottawa in a few weeks. Looks like I'll have to find some stuff to donate! I know in my head what I need to do... now... just doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baby Steps, Lor! One step at a time...and it will happen! Good luck with it!
    Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited for you about the big move to the new hospital! The time & gas saved are gonna be great!

    Today I went through my medicine cabinet and threw away any old medicine prescription or OTC that were expired. I think that will help out a lot when we're searching for meds we won't have to wade through that stuff anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got rid of one bag of clothes I can not wear anymore... I will not keep the larger sizes anymore...

    Paula

    ReplyDelete