Saturday, December 19, 2015

What I've Been Working On...

A couple of weeks ago I began piecing this flower quilt.  The pattern is named "Cottage Blossoms" and is by Lella Boutique.

As you can see, the top is finished but I will put it away for the holidays.  In January, I will bring it out, sandwich it, and machine quilt it on my Juki TL2000Qi.  I don't know if I will piece a backing for it or buy wide backing fabric for it.  I have TONS of yardage that I purchased specifically to make pieced backings, so I'm leaning towards doing that to use up some of my stash.

While piecing the flower quilt, I made these 12 crumb blocks as my "leader/enders".  They are 6.5" square.  (Crumbs are the little pieces of leftover fabric that are too small to be cut into usable strips after you are done making a quilt.)

I have a whole bunch more that I made previously, so I'll add these to them.  I'm thinking of adding star points and making them into star blocks...these crumb blocks would be the center of the stars.

Here's a close-up of the blocks so you can see the variety of fabrics that went into them.  (If you have received a quilt from me, you may see some of the leftover fabrics in these blocks!)

Making those blocks really didn't make a dent in my "crumbs" stash.  (These are 2 of my 3 crumbs boxes.)

Meanwhile, I'm continuing to "big stitch" quilt on the "Pastel Baskets" quilt that is in my frame.

Andy & I have broached the subject of sectioning off a portion of the basement and turning it into a sewing room for me.  Two and a half years ago we moved my sewing room into the "master bedroom" and we took one of the two smaller bedrooms for our bedroom.  However, I really have "outgrown" the master bedroom.  One of the issues with my current sewing room is that there are 2 windows, a door, and a fireplace that take up room/wall space, thus biting into the "usable" space.  If we build a room in the basement there would only be the door into it to take a "bite" out of the usable room, so not only would the room be slightly bigger, it would have more usable space, thus making it more functional.   

We have just started discussing it and it would take some work to get it up and running, so don't everybody hold your breath right just yet.



  1. first love the anne taintor photo...she is funny! and your flower quilt is soo pretty and all those crumb! and would it be possible to combine the 2 small bedrooms for a sewing space? don't know the layout of your home...but a bigger space is always a good!

    1. The two other bedrooms are separated by a bathroom, so there is no way to join them. Before we moved the sewing room into the master bedroom, the "sewing" room was in one of the smaller bedrooms and my quilting frame was in the other one...taking up two rooms instead of one. That is why we decided to incorporate it all into the one larger bedroom. If we moved all of the sewing into a room in the basement, then it would free up both extra bedrooms to be used as guest rooms (which we desperately need when the kids come home with their families!)

  2. Keep all of us inquiring nibby people posted. :)My Hubby is retiring and says he is going to get me organized. Oh, I may need some advice when the time comes :)