Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Shelf Redo...

Quote for the Day:
Creativity is a great motivator because it makes people interested in what they are doing. Creativity gives hope that there can be a worthwhile idea. Creativity gives the possibility of some sort of achievement to everyone. Creativity makes life more fun and more interesting.
~Edward de Bono

In the process of moving the furniture from my former sewing room into my new sewing room, I thought I'd do something to spruce up one of the shelving units that was in bad need of a makeover.  


Before our hospital moved into their new building 2.5 years ago, whenever they did a remodeling project, they would have a "furniture auction" and auction off whatever they were taking out of commission.  Over the years, we have picked up some good items, like this shelf.  It is solid wood and HEAVY.  Very functional.  And butt-ugly!  LOL

So...I decided to paint it.  One coat of Kilz primer and 2 coats of a freebie paint that I got from Glidden...Muslin White...applied with a sponge roller.  (Every so often Glidden has a giveaway and gives free pints of paint in your color choice.  You fill out a form online and they send it to you.)



But...each shelf has 2 deep grooves in it.  There are also grooves in the underneath portion of the shelves...I think that this was probably in doctor's office to hold patient files, or something similar, and those slots were used for dividers to slide into.

Anyway...what's a girl to do?  I tried to caulk them but they were so deep and wide that I got nowhere fast trying that.  Hmmm...put your "thinking cap" on, Loretta.  (Remember when the teacher used to tell you to "put your thinking cap on"???)   

Then I remembered this pin that I had pinned on Pinterest.  Cue the light bulb...and the angels singing...

I went and bought a box of cheap peel and stick floor tile, 25 tiles for $9.99, and applied them to the shelves.  Easy peasy!!



I did not paint the shelves, only around the edges, so you wouldn't notice if the tiles weren't cut perfectly.  And here is the NEW & IMPROVED shelving unit in her corner, just waiting for sewing and quilting stuff to be stored on her!!  



To put it in perspective, here are the before and after images side by side for comparison!




Much better!!   Don't you agree???

Loretta

4 comments:

  1. Great idea! The tile will make it easy to dust, but who has time for dusting when there is quilting to be done. I recently repurposed a dresser and we now use it to hold the big screen, turned out !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to order two please! LOL It really looks awesome, and also looks very functional!

    ReplyDelete