Tuesday, November 12, 2013

11-12-13...

How I feel today...




I hope I don't offend anyone with this video...I think it's HILARIOUS...and is just how I feel today.

On my days off from work, I am usually running around going to appointments and doing errands, especially since I've started going to the new chiropractor...twice a week appointments, ya know.  But today I have nothing planned but to stay INDOORS and RELAX!

And today is a GREAT day to stay indoors because we woke up to this...


Yep...our first snow of the winter season!  It's pretty when you don't have to go out into it!  :)

I plan on working on a small quilt that I started Sunday night for Quilts for Kids, the organization supported by Downy (fabric softener) that delivers home made quilts to children in hospitals!  It's been a couple years since I've made one for them, and I was itching to spend some time at my sewing machine.  Sometimes I just need to take a break from hand quilting and get some quality time with my sewing machine!  I had some leftover squares from a quilt I made for my niece, Kristin, so I thought I'd put it to good use.  All of the fabric used in this quilt was from my pre-cut scraps from other quilts!  (I use Bonnie Hunter's scrap user's system.)  This means that when I finish a quilt, I take the small pieces of fabric that are left over and cut them into usable size squares and strips and store them according to size.  Then when I need a certain size for another scrappy quilt, I go to that size box and pick out what I can use!  It makes it much easier to use up scraps that way!

This is what I was able to whip up fairly quickly...


I still need to add the green top and bottom border, but that will get done today.  Then I can find a backing from my stash, pin-baste it, and machine quilt it!

I figured that QFK probably gets more quilts for young children than for older kids, so I thought this would make a good quilt for a teenage girl.




I also made it a couple inches bigger so it would work better for a teen.  I hope they don't think the "subject matter" is inappropriate.  I think it's cute/funny...but then I've been told I have a really warped sense of humor...by my husband, no less!   LOL  He POLITELY calls it "the Schrock sense of humor" but I know what he REALLY means!  

Once I get this blog post done, I'm going to pay some bills online and then go barricade myself in my sewing room and get this quilt knocked out as fast as I can.


I've been asked how my gluten-free-ness is going...
So far, so good.  I think I may have inadvertently had some gluten (in the soy sauce) when we went out to eat Friday night at the local Chinese buffet, but as soon as I realized it, I stopped eating anything with it on it.

It really isn't as difficult to find things without gluten as I had feared.  You learn to read labels on EVERYTHING.  I'm lucky in that I don't have celiac disease, so if I inadvertently do get a tiny bit, it won't destroy me.  

Now...realize that I haven't cut out sugar entirely, but have cut down on it drastically!  So far I have lost 1.6 pounds, but I think I just look healthier overall because everyone at my doctor's office yesterday couldn't believe their eyes!  The nurses and doctor kept saying "you've lost weight", "you look so good", etc., etc., etc!   Note...the last time I was in my primary care's office was the day before my first chiropractic treatment and at a time when I was probably at my worst with pain, swelling, etc.  Since going gluten-free, my ankles have stopped swelling and I'm starting to lose the "carb face"...that extra weight around the jowls brought on from eating the wrong kind/too many carbs.

But I'm definitely going to have to keep that purple sweater in mind that I was wearing yesterday because I think it really took the pounds off of me from all the compliments I got!  


Loretta

3 comments:

  1. So, "Schrock sense of humor" isn't a compliment?!?! What?!?!?! I always thought that people should feel honored when I would tell them that their sense of humor would fit in with our family...

    I'm glad to hear that the chiropractor and change in diet is working out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the video was funny.....took me a moment to realize it was Leonard Nemoy! Sheesh......he looks awful in it! LOL Glad you are feeling better with the new food regime. And that's a sweet quilt! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are feeling better! It's nice to see and FEEL progress when trying something new! Looking at that snow makes me want to make a pot of soup and quilt all day long!

    ReplyDelete