Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Getting "Stoned"...

Quote for the Day:
"I'm picturing what it's like every time you renovate. 
There's a big hole in the wall and two paramedics."
~"Jill Taylor" in Home Improvement (TV Series)

Twenty-eight years ago Andy & I became parents for the first time and started on an amazing new life path together.  No longer was it just about "us" anymore.  We now had a new love in our lives.  Who could have guessed where that new path would take us, but I'm glad we took it!  We have been blessed by our children and can't imagine what life would have been like without them...or their partners...or the GRANDCHILDREN!  :)

So I want to take this opportunity to wish my dear son, Paul, and his wife, Trinity, a very Happy Birthday!!!  (Yes...they share the same birthday, though he is one year older than her!) 



We've been slowwwwwllllyyy renovating our kitchen for the last 16 months.  With Andy & I both off for the 3-day holiday weekend that just passed (Labor Day Weekend here in the USA), we decided to tackle some more of the kitchen.  We didn't get the whole current "project" done, but we managed to get it about 3/4's completed.  YAY!  

I was waffling back and forth as to whether to show what we have finished so far, or wait until we get this whole "section" completed.  But, I'm so proud of what we accomplished that I'm going to show you our progress!

There is an alcove between a chimney and the door to the wrap-around porch where the stove sits...


We decided to "brick" it in using Airstone.  It was slow going at first because the floor is un-level (our house was built in 1927 and there is nothing level anymore!), but once we got past the first couple of rows and I got into the "swing" of it, it started going faster.  Also, in the beginning, I was doing it by myself because Andy was working on finishing up an area of beadboard around the cabinets.  Once he finished that area, he started helping me by cutting the stones that needed cutting and then I was able to just concentrate on the actual "laying" of the brick/stone.


Note the shims...the valiant attempt to start out level!  LOL

After working on this project Sunday afternoon, all of Monday, and Tuesday evening after Andy got off of work, this is what it looks like now...



Ta-da!!!  I love how it's looking!!!  There are some beautiful stone houses in Fairmont, WV, that I drool over every time I'm in that town.  I LOVE them!  As we were working on this project, I told Andy that I feel like I finally have my "stone" house!  :)  At least this is as close as I'll ever get to owning one!  :)

Here's a close-up for ya...



It looks and feels just like real stone! 

My body is sore beyond belief from working on this project (lots of kneeling, bending, and up and down the ladder), but it has definitely been worth it.  We have to finish the area up near the ceiling on this wall and then do 2 sides of the chimney before we can call this area "done", but we hope to make another big dent in the project...and possibly even finish this part up... this coming weekend.  :)




Loretta

5 comments:

  1. Looking great! It's already looking gorgeous :) Can't wait to see it all done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really cool! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks lovely! I love your blog, thank you for sharing your thoughts and projects with us.
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the Happy Birthday wish! We love you!

    The Airstone looks great!!! Can't wait to see the finished project! :)

    ReplyDelete