Tuesday, July 12, 2011

First Harvest of 2011...

Quote for the Day:
"Happiness is a bowl of cherries and a book of poetry 
under a shade tree."
 ~Terri Guillemets






Okay...so cherries they ain't...but they are the first of the 2011 blackberry harvest that grows just outside our back door.  :)  Huge, luscious and oh-so-delicious.  Full of antioxidants, too!  :) 

The blackberry bushes are LOADED and the berries will continue to ripen over the next 1-2 weeks.  When the majority are reaching full ripeness, we sometimes have to pick them TWICE a day...that's how fast they ripen!  It is at that time that I will be making a batch or two of jam!  :)  I just hope that those "bountiful harvest" days coincide with my days off as the berries make the best jam when they are freshly picked!



Day off...yeah...that's rich!  HA!  My summer can best be described as CHAOTIC when it comes to my work schedule.  I have been working almost twice as much as I usually do...and a lot of night shifts.  At this point, I am past the point of exhaustion.   And patience???  Don't bother asking for any...I gave at the office.  :(


But I have recently finished listening to an audiobook that I'd like to share with you...


You Had Me at Woof: How Dogs Taught Me the Secrets of Happiness by Julie Klam.  It was great fun to read and is one of the shorter, quicker books I've read/listened to lately.  And, yes, though I am partial to Boston Terriers (we currently own our second one), Ms. Klam's dog-love extends beyond just that particular breed.  I highly recommend this book...you'll laugh, you'll cry...you'll thank me for recommending it!  ;)

Loretta

No comments:

Post a Comment