Quote for the Day:
"Use it up, Wear it Out, Make it do...or Do without."
~brought to the USA by immigrants from Great Britain in the early 1900s,
If you've been reading my blog for the last several posts, you know by now that I'm going to my first quilting workshop/retreat next weekend. I've been spending the last few days getting the things together that I need to take with me for a weekend of sewing.
I told you about my Goodwill iron find. Now I needed a small table to put my pressing/cutting mat on near my chair. I've seen many people use a TV tray table for this, but alas, we don't have any. Last night, when Andy and I made a quick stop at Walmart I
However, it looked like this...
The finish was in REALLY rough shape with lots of scratches, etc. And besides, it was this ugly golden finish. (I like dark wood finish, not this!) Imagine what the finish looked like after being stored in an outdoor shed for 4-5 years. Andy can't remember exactly when/where he got the table, but he thinks it was about that long ago...at a yard sale, of course! LOL
I washed it with Murphy's Oil Soap and got a layer of grime off of it, but it really didn't do much to increase it's beauty any. :(
What's a girl to do??? *sigh*
A couple hours later it looks like this...
Nice, huh??? I used Behr Premium paint with primer in it, so I wouldn't have to do a separate coat of primer! :) It was a light green/sage color I already had on hand leftover from when I painted my quilting room 2 years ago! :)
For now I have only applied one coat since it isn't a piece of furniture that will be used regularly....just when I need an extra table for something like this retreat...or any other time an extra table would be handy! :) It's bigger than the standard TV tray table...probably about 1.5 times bigger...which will be really nice for a cutting/pressing station!
I'm very happy with the way it turned out and the whole project was quick and easy! I guess you know by now that the flimsy black plastic table is getting returned to Walmart! :)
I've been making more blocks for the "Sherbet Quilt" over the last couple of days. I'm up to 13 blocks now, out of the 36 I need for the quilt!
I've started a new "leader/ender" project to work on while making other blocks. I'm using up 2.5" scraps and corners cut off from other projects and am making "Maverick Stars", a pattern by Bonnie Hunter. They finish at 6" and use up a LOT of scrap corners! Here is my first "test" block completed...
The star points are not supposed to be symmetrical...that's what makes them "mavericks"! :)
Tomorrow I'm getting another epidural injection for my back and leg pain. I'm looking forward to the relief because the pain has been quite unbearable lately! The last injection lasted me quite a while...5 1/2 months! I'm hoping I get similar relief from this one! Wish me luck tomorrow and please say a prayer for me as I get this procedure tomorrow!